Friday, March 19, 2021

it just goes on and on my friends... the fabric that never ends...

use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without...

that's a saying that a very good (and old) friend told me years and years ago. there's definitely some wisdom in that! 

well, in regards to the pink fabric i'm going to write about today, i've definitely accomplished the first part of this saying!

about 15+ years ago, i bought a bunch of (Civil War-esque) fabrics for making quilts to sell at a local shop. (the selling of quilts has never been a giant success for me. usually i end up giving my quilts as gifts, or donating them to MCC...) 


i must have bought a ridiculous amount, because the above quilt, made for my oldest daughter, M, was about the third or so out of that particular grouping of fabrics. 

the time stamp on the photo is correct. now M is a mama to 3 littles, and A is almost 15! (you can see the pink fabric i'm referring to in the upper left corner of the picture) 


this pinwheel quilt doesn't have the particular pink fabric in it, but there are a bunch of the other Civil War-esque fabrics from that grouping. this quilt was finished and sold to a gas guy during the big gas boom here in our county about 8 years ago or so...


i was still in possession of many of these fabrics, and decided to make a flying geese quilt, using the Eleanor Burns method and ruler. i will say: Easy. Peasy. if you shy away from triangles (like me), then this is definitely the technique for you!

you can see the pink feather fabric second from the left in this grouping. 


this LARGE flying geese quilt was the result...


and was gifted to my oldest son and his girlfriend in our Great Christmas Gifting of 2017. (about time, i'd say, as i started the quilt in 2010!)


A chose this Sunshine and Shadows quilt- same fabrics, same Christmas Gifting of 2017. overheard in the living room after the choosing: A "this is my favorite quilt, ever. it's so beautiful! thanks, Mama!"

some of the feather-y pink fabric made it into this quilt, too! 

one a side note: i even did a tutorial for this block, if you're interested. 

so, if you're keeping track, that's 6 quilts (and counting) for that stack of Civil War-esque fabrics. and i still had some left over! there was some remaning fabric from the original quilt, plus some completed FG blocks. Way back in early January i asked for some suggestions about a UFO finish along. (i work well under pressure) Suzanne was kind enough to tell me about the Facebook UFO Bingo group.
 

so i made my bingo card, and February was I13- the remainder of my Civil War geese and fabrics. i didn't get the top done until March, but now all the geese are used, the quilt top is pieced for MCC, and hopefully, this quilt can give hope and comfort somewhere, letting someone know that they're not forgotten. 


last but not least, there was a just enough of this pink in February to make this waffle block with the COM and low volume fabrics. with the completion of the waffle block, in addition to the latest flying geese quilt, that's it for the pink feather-y fabric! i'd say i've gotten my money's worth, spread the love around, and have finally used every last schnibble of this fabric from my deep stash! 

make sure to click back to Angela's and see what everyone else is working on this week in the RSC21! 

 

6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's fun to see that fabric showing up in multiple quilts! I enjoy that with my scraps, too - it definitely is the fun that never ends!

maggie fellow said...

fun photo story- I think I have that fabric LOL

Jenny said...

Good on you! That's a great effort to "use it up"

Deb A said...

Do many fun quilt those fabrics have landed in. Great job using it up. Dare I say time to buy more?

Chantal said...

I have fabrics like that too, that just keep going on and on. Sometimes I wonder why I bought so much or is the fabric getting larger when I'm not looking? Good for you to be able to use it all up in beautiful quilts I might add. Now you have room to buy something new. ;^)

Deb said...

I still find pieces of a white on white I bought a bolt of 15 years ago!
It too is the fabric that never ends! Stay safe and sew on !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin