Friday, January 01, 2021

a quilty snack: {shoo fly} PIE, DONUTS and WAFFLES!

there is something exciting and even exhilarating about starting a new year of Rainbow Scrap Challenge! new fabric! new colors! new project! new blocks! 


i'm starting off strong with pinks: first up, a twinkly star. scrappy AND wonky. i've not done one of these blocks before, so i'm looking forward to a colorful year. 

*** edited to add: does anyone know of a UFO Finish-along for 2021? Like the kind where you pick 12 projects, and then a number is drawn each month to let us know which UFO to work on? Judy used to do them ages ago, but hasn't for a few years. I know Connie is doing a Dirty Dozen, but that's already started. i love to work along with other quilters- the "pressure" and "accountability" work really well for me. thanks in advance! ***
 

i have done LOTS of 9 patches over my RSC career (this is my 8th year sewing along!!!) i did mention before that this year i intended to "kick it up a notch" so to speak, and include some triangles with my blocks. 


i have a Studio2 cutter (highly recommend) and i've had the 3" square die cutter for a while. i recently purchased (on sale; BOGO) the 2½" finished triangle die to pair with my squares. 


i had a grey piece of yardage come through my sewing room, and i snagged it for my RSC21 donuts and {shoo fly}pie blocks. i cut up enough squares and triangles to keep me piecing these quilty snacks for awhile. no rhyme or reason (or plan) on which i'll piece, or how many. it just depends on how many of each color square i have. i've completed 6, of these 2 different blocks, but still have about 8 more to piece. i don't know where all the pink blocks/fabrics came from... (there were A.L.O.T.) it's a mystery! 


another new-to-me block for RSC21 is the waffle block. Millie, our darling cat, loves quilts + sunshine.  the sewing room is a win/win for her! more on my waffles in another post... 


as i mentioned, this is my 8th year (!!!) i started out with Angela and RSC in 2014. so many 3" squares, so many blocks, so many quilts have gone under my needle and out the sewing room door in that time. 

but still the scraps and squares persist! (not complaining, just explaining, as my MIL would have said) i guess i have made some progress in the last few years- the above pictures are my "stash" of the 3" squares; they overflowed their suitcase into a deeper drawer at one time. (more on that suitcase later, too...) 


this metal drawer is the shallowest of my wire storage units, and with the addition of waffle blocks to my RSC21 plans, i managed to *use* nearly *all* of my Low Volume blocks. but, with that, i THINK I SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF OUR SCRAPS, AND WHY WE ALWAYS HAVE MORE. 

that's a post for another day, and i'll be back soon to tell that story! 

11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of good ideas and pretty blocks started already for 2021! I love the gray background with your pink scraps. I remember our suitcase of squares - you've done a lot with those!

Ivani said...

Love the pinks in your twinkly star block.
I will continue with my wonk star blocks this year to complete my collection
Happy Pink January

Carol San Diego said...

Country threads chicken scratch quilt blog does a pick 12 projects and number them then she picks a number for the month for you to finish. She will post any pictures of those projects on her blog.

Suzanne Crane in Massachusetts said...

Facebook UFO BINGO is great. I’ve been there for three years. It is a small group.

Sandy said...

You're starting off with some great blocks! Here is the UFO Challenge I like to do each year: https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-to-quilt/finishing/2021-ufo-challenge

Jenny said...

Can hardly wait to find out the secret of all those scraps. Anything to do with elves or pixies perhaps?

Cathy said...

Looks like you are off to a good start with some fun and colorful blocks.

Oh, I love a good mystery!

maggie fellow said...

nice pink work - I'll be waiting for the scrap mystery

scraphappy said...

8 years of scraps. That is impressive! Love that you are adding triangles this year. SO many fun options now open with lots of scraps still to use.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice start to PINK month! I host a UFO Club on Ravelry's Quilters Knitting group. It's a quarterly challenge and participants must have (at least) 5 UFOs to sign-up. The deadline for the Winter session is Thursday, January 7th.

Susie H said...

Very pretty start to 2021RSC. I just love seeing what everyone is planning on working on this year. Waiting to hear the suitcase story! Lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin