Saturday, December 23, 2017

sharing the love... spreading the warmth...

since my children live spread out all over the country (a son in WA and another son in the Bronx) we planned to celebrate our Christmas early this year while we were all together. We had our family Christmas on Saturday, December 16. it was a lovely day- full of memories, and all the traditions that we would normally do on the 25th.
 
my youngest son, G, chose not to come, but my mother heart loves him all the same, and despite the full house with all the children and grands, I missed him just the same...


the little girls, A and B, were especially happy for new jammies!  and look: everyone smiling! everyone looking!


we drew numbers for the quilt picking- #1-#5. I had 11 quilts to choose from (!!!) so even the last person had a nice selection to pick their favorite. my oldest daughter, M and her husband K were first. they chose one of the RSC16 column-along quilts. (they chose the twin size; that leaves the lap size for me! yay!) here they are in front of the tree with "baby" C. C will have a new baby brother in March, the quilt is hiding M's cute belly...
 

my son D is a Corpsman in the Navy, stationed in Bronx, NY. (go figure...) he and A chose the Flying Geese quilt.
 

second son N is married to P, and they have a little girl, E. N is in the Army, stationed in Seattle, WA. it was a treat to have them here and visit with them for almost a week. (it was fun to watch the 2 cousins together, too. they're only 6 days apart in age) N and P chose a low-volume patchwork quilt, sofa size. I guess I never blogged about it... but you might have seen it on instagram.
 
 
A is 11, and chose this Roman Stripes quilt. (it's made out of the same fabrics as D & A's quilt) I made this quilt quite awhile ago- glad it's finally found someone to snuggle with...
 
(here's a tutorial on how I made it) and here's where I pieced it together- almost 8 years ago. yikes! 
 
 
baby BJ (sometimes I still call her that, even though she's 10 years old now...) chose the pinwheel quilt. I blogged about this quilt here, too. this project has been in my RSC roundup for a few years, going through several evolutions, and even thrown in as a UFO a time or two, too... but now it's "done" and we'll piece a backing for it this week, and set it aside to be quilted.
 
a couple quilts weren't chosen that I was sure would be top on the list, but that's ok. we might have a wedding in our near future, and some can live in the sewing room closet until they find a home. others will go to MCC. one way or another, all the quilts will be loved and used.
 
my instagram feed has been full of smiling children, happy faces and lots of snippets of memories in the making- not much sewing at all for me this month of December. but- of course, that's OK! i was glad to have some time with my family. when our children are small, we honestly don't' realize how fast the years will fly- because those days can really drag, can't they?
 
one day they're all grown and gone, and it's a big deal when they all come home and we can be together. enjoy those moments while you can!
 
and click on over to Angie's, too! lots of great quilts getting done!
 



3 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

How wonderful that family members had the opportunity to choose the quilt they wanted. And what a great inventory you had! You're right on with your comment about how the days drag when our children are little but then, looking back, they seem to have flown by. Merry Christmas!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that your youngest son wasn't home for the quilt celebration!! My youngest isn't home for Christmas this year, either. Everyone looks pleased with their quilts. What lucky kids!!

Kate said...

Sounds like a wonderful family gathering. Sorry you were still minus 1 for the fun. What a fun idea to let everyone pick their own quilt for the holiday. Hope you have a very peaceful and joyous Christmas Eve and Day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin