Friday, January 19, 2018

RSC18- rolling right along...

it was a cold and snowy week here, but lots of sewing happened, so it's all good!


last week I forgot to mention that the tutorial I'm using for my #holidaypatchworkforest blocks is from Amy, over at Diary of a Quilter. 16 more blocks were added to my forest this week, making them the final of the blue blocks that I 'll be doing for RSC18.

 

despite this being my 5th (!!!) year of RSCing from my suitcase of squares, it never seems to get any emptier. rather, it just gets fuller and fuller- to the point that it won't even close anymore!

( I can save you the bother of clicking through and scrolling to find out more about my suitcase of squares: I cut all my scraps into 3" squares, and then store them in a vintage suitcase that belonged to my mother.)
 

I've pieced dozens of quilts (really!) from that suitcase... some fabrics are used up now- especially the favorites, but they've been replaced with some newer favorites, and gifted and shared fabrics. so the quilting goes on...

the nice thing about using the consistent size to piece {most} of my RSC blocks is that they're all interchangeable, and it makes using up orphan blocks fairly easy. (even if not terribly attractive.)
 
 
these blocks for the RSC18 Squared Away BOM will finish at 12½" inches. it was nice to actually sew with some triangles- I've done squares for so long, that it was a nice change. I tried to play nicely with all the other playground folks, and stuck to light blues, and a contrast for the + in the middle. I'm happy with these blocks, and I look forward to seeing what else Angie and Mari come up with for the rest of this quilt...
 

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great sampler blocks. So glad you are using up your squares.

make.share.give said...

Super cute little trees!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your holiday forest trees are lots of fun! I love the idea of a suitcase of squares, too. So useful!

Marly said...

Lovely sampler blocks and your forest is growing well.

PaulaB quilts said...

What a colorful forest that will be! Your three blocks are all so different because of your fabric choices. Good luck getting the suitcase emptied to close it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your trees!! That is on my to do list - and you are getting yours To done!! I am impressed

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on completing your BLUE forest for the RSC. On to the next color...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin