Saturday, January 06, 2018

off to a blue, chilly start!

it's still colder than blue blazes here in northern PA, but that's ok- the RSC color of the month is blue! (we're looking forward to a heat wave on Thursday- the temp is supposed to go above 40°!)


I didn't venture into the sewing room (it's upstairs, and no direct heat) until later in the week, but I had plenty to keep me busy downstairs.


my LQS gave me a big (BIG) bag of scraps- a hodgepodge of odds and ends. combined with my stash of small pieces, it took me several evenings of cutting and sorting to get them all pressed and cut into the 3" squares.
 

usually I cut the colors month by month, but this year I thought it would be better to see what colors and fabrics I have, rather than drag it out all year. it was fun to have the colorful infusion of fabrics from the quilt shop-it will make for some interesting piecing throughout the year.
 
( I am friends with the shop owner, but she knows that my friend Karen and I do a great deal of quilting for MCC quilt auctions, so that's why the fabric was passed along to me...)


this year one of my projects for RSC18 is 9 patches- above is my first installment of blue. as I was picking the color to complement the 5 blues, I purposely picked a color/combination that I would normally not choose. I'm pleased with the eclectic, bohemian look of these 9 patches.
 
I made 16 (only 1 more than I intended!) for a 90" square quilt at the end of the year.
 

my "beloved" kona cotton solids are back again this year- only this time in a 9 patch. I've used the kona indigo, splitting the 9 patches {fairly} evenly between the 5 indigo patches and 4 indigo patches. the colors are cloud, stratosphere, robins egg, Dresden, denim, nightfall, regal, and ???
 
click on over to visit Angie at soscrappy to see what everyone else is doing, and to welcome some new RSCers.


4 comments:

scraphappy said...

So many great fabrics from the quilt shop scraps. Always more fun to see new fabrics. Great looking nine patches. I do like the "bohemian" color combinations.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job of getting that prep work out of the way!! I'll be looking forward to seeing your stacks of RSC block grow throughout the year.

June D said...

Great prep work for the year. Nice blocks. Will be Fun to follow your progress. Happy 2018!

Katie Z. said...

What lovely scraps and projects!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin