Friday, November 10, 2017

what does November mean?

November in RSC Land means our blocks are done (or nearly so) and we start to see some pieced flimsys in our Saturday linkups.

I tend to make lots and lots of blocks, but I'm not always so great at finishing them into tops... I have some good new to share this week, though!

new for my RSC17 block list this year was the low volume 16 patches. I had lots of the 3" LV squares left from my Plus quilt that I decided to use them again this year in a 16 patch.


with the completion of my brown 16 patches this week, I was ready to lay out the blocks...

 
I had already been pondering how I wanted to lay them out, so it didn't really take too long to settle on a design. the layout is 9 X 11 blocks, so the quilt should finish at 90" X 110". (another big'un!) I had 9 blocks leftover, but unfortunately they weren't the right color or shade, so I'll be "custom" piecing a few more of these to get the quilt done.
 
I'm loving it so far!
 

these pinwheels started as one of my RSC15 projects, and I pieced (and pieced!) a boatload of them. I finished the first quilt with them (shown here) and just this week completed this one. it measures 62" X 78".


I'm calling it Windblown Pinwheels: I'm sure there was  pattern in the colors somewhere, but in the process of picking the blocks up off the design floor, and then up to the sewing room, they must have gotten jumbled a bit... that's ok! finished is better than perfect, right?!

12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your low volume 9 patches are such a great idea! They're going to make a beautiful quilt. Congratulations on finishing up the pinwheels, too!

Katie Z. said...

Your sixteen patches look fabulous!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Finished IS better than perfect!! I think you're RSC projects are turning out lovely. Best of luck with the Great Christmas Quilt Giveaway!!

Sally Trude said...

Ahem, someone is photobombing your quilt top. Your quilts are great examples of how much fun it is to see the RSC quilts come together.

Cathy said...

First, I love, love, love those pinwheel quilts. That’s a definite bucket list RSC quilt for me. Secondly, your 16-patches are lovely. I did 16-Patch blocks last year with the lights inside/colors outside only. But I really like how you’ve done those and their inverse partner colors! I may have to copy you on that, too. You’re just full of great ideas!

Monica said...

Wow, it's all coming together beautifully! I particularly like the pinwheels. :D

Julie in GA said...

Both of your RSC quilts are looking beautiful!

Sheila said...

I love both of your RSC quilts. You go girl!

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow a second post! Love that you have a top done and a second that is close to being done.

gayle said...

Both your quilts are terrific! Lots of pizzaz from simple blocks - I think that's the best part of quilting!
And I laughed when I saw the critter photobombing your quilt - I only get cats in my pics!

PaulaB quilts said...

A productive week for sure. Wind blown Pinwheels is a delight, full of movement and color. And the new almost finish is a really good RSC17 top. You are way ahead of the game, congrats!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it - its going to be so great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin