Saturday, September 02, 2017

orange is such a happy color!

 
I'm back! I managed to do a *tiny* bit of neutral/low volume sewing (my indigo 16 patches) but that was about it in the RSC17 department.  


but- here's 2 of the reasons that I didn't get a lot of time in the sewing room- granddaughter E and grandson C. who needs fabric with these two little sweeties around?! baby E and her mother P are visiting from WA this week. my son, N, is on a 40 day training deployment in CA, so we took the opportunity to fly the 2 of them out (to PA) for the week. it's been so fun- and baby E is such a snuggler- she tucks right into my (left!) shoulder, sticks her thumb in her mouth, and twirls my hair. it's so sweet!
 
(and notice the ORANGE apron... it was Farmer's Market day here on the farm. the apron was totally coincidental, really...)
 
the two cousins were born 6 days apart, so it's kind of like twins when they're around! (and E's daddy was one of my twins- D & N, now almost 27 years old.) ACK! that makes me feel old!
 
and I guess it's been so long since I posted that I have MORE news to share: C's daddy and mommy (my oldest child) is expecting again! we'll have ANOTHER baby to snuggle in March!!! can't wait!!!


I made a *tiny* bit of progress with my low volume scraps: I moved them out of the jars, and into my huge colander. does that count as progress? ha! these scraps will be pieced into crumb blocks.


I need some help from you guys! I have this nice little pile of 5" low volume squares. I'm thinking of piecing them together into a patchwork top, with some applique. (she says with a shudder) I've only ever made one applique quilt, and that was about 15 years ago. I think I might have one more in me, and can probably pull it off as a traveling/piano lesson quilt. (the last one was done during baseball practice/games when my boys were teenagers) any suggestions? I'm looking for something creative, easy and funky.
 

just for fun: here's my stack of (6½" crumb blocks. these are from last year, as well as this year.) I did made an impressive stack of blue crumb blocks (was that July's color?) but they're not trimmed yet. I'm looking forward to getting these blocks into a quilt of some sort, and I'm heavily leaning towards Rachel's Picnic Blanket.
 
there were a couple sew-a-long quilts this summer that I would have loved to do- this one, and also the one that Amanda Jean hosted. ( I even pulled out and petted my low volume scraps for that one, but just couldn't manage to pull it off with the gardens and baby sitting)


and last- but not least- here is an impressive pile of little purple squares. I rescued it from the dog bed pile at our church sewing circle- Scraps to Wraps. all the squares seem to be accurately cut, and are 1½". someone took the time to cut all these squares, and there are a few assembled 9 patches in the pile. (lower right corner). I'm offering this to someone who has the time (and patience!) to complete it into a quilt- preferably for a charity of your choice. I'll mail it anywhere in the USA. just let me know if you're interested, and what charity you plan to give it to. I'll have it in the mail to you by the end of the week.
 
be sure to click over to Angie's blog- our hostess with the mostest, and see what every one else is sewing on!

7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Baby snuggles, Crumb blocks, and rescue scrap! I can see why you didn't get much neutral sewing done, but maybe you'll have better luck with ORANGE. I did those two QAL projects that you mentioned (as well as two more!) You can still work on them as time permits. I think that Rainbow Picnic will be a PERFECT use of your stack of Crumb blocks!!

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful colander full of low volume straps. Connie Reskin used to do some cute applique on low volume pieced backgrounds. Her is a cute one http://www.conniekresin.com/2016/08/serendipity-flower-basket-mini-quilt.html
Whatever you end up with will be beautiful I am sure. Looks like hose beautiful grand babies are keeping you busy and happy.

Cathy said...

Like Angela, I was thinking of a small quilt or table topper with a neutral patchwork background and a fun appliqué on top - perhaps something in orange, like a pumpkin sitting on a base of leaves? It would be a great way to use up the neutrals and knock out some orange at the same time!

PaulaB quilts said...

The best time possible! What better reason could you have than two grand babies at once. And one on the way. Enjoy every minute you can.

Sheila said...

They are so sweet. You can quilt when they leave. Enjoy the now ... while they are tiny.

a good yarn said...

Being distracted by some cute grand babies is a pretty reasonable excuse. I'm sure you'll find the right project for your low volume scraps.

Julie in GA said...

Looks to me like you got plenty of stitching done this week, plus time with the little cuties! A perfect week!
I would be very happy to take those purple squares off your hands.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin