Tuesday, November 29, 2022

looking ahead to RSC23!

we're still in 2022, specifically RSC22, but already i'm getting excited for RSC23! i'm looking to do some different things this year, as well as carry over one of my projects from RSC22. (the PP schoolhouse blocks with Kona school bus) 


i recently pieced this Rainbow Baby Churn Dash quilt for a (as yet, unknown & unborn) baby from our church family. our sewing group, Scraps to Wraps (S2W for short) gifts each child of our church family with their own quilt on Dedication Sunday. 

i found {most} of these colorful fabrics in the sewing closet at church, and immediately thought of making a colorful churn dash quilt, in aaalllllllllll the rainbow colors. i used Kona snow and lighthouse for the centers. then: it occurred to me that another quilt like this, pieced along with RSC23 could be really fun, too. and since churn dash blocks are one of my favorites, i quickly added this to my List Of Quilts To Piece Next Year. 

and: while I've got 'cha: does anyone have any suggestions for a (quick, fun, easy, favorite) quilt using a charm pack AND a jelly roll? i have a couple of those pairs floating around, and I'd love to use them to their best advantage. any suggestions would be much appreciated!) 


my drawer of 3" squares is still going strong, and not even nearly empty- even after 9 years of RSCing! yes- this will be MY TENTH YEAR of sewing my scraps, one color a month!!! wow! i've seen a few of the RSC blogger friends have done the scrappy hearts block, and made some really pretty quilts. so this year, i'll be making these hearts too. the block is drafted in my EQ program (and of course, you know it's not my original idea- this block, in several variations, is floating around all over the internet... ) and as drafted, would finish at 20" square. 


i'm loving these school house blocks that i started last year.  i'm using Kona school bus yellow as the background, and lots of different, bright and favorite fabrics for the houses themselves. i pieced 27 (?) of these last year, but plan to continue piecing even more this year. i'm thinking i'll make a {long, rectangular} quilt for in our stairwell, with Kona indigo sashing. 


above is another (non-original) block i saw some other RSCers were working on. drafted up in my EQ, it also finishes at 20" square. i'll piece a few of these each month, but not be so very strict about adhering to the called RSC color. i want the flower pot to be colorful, not quite so monochromatic as most of my piecing... 

( i really should try to branch out a little, right?) i already have all the background cut out, and plan on having the brown baskets from *mostly* the same fabrics. and: interesting back story about the brown fabric: i sent some quilts along to the Little Lambs Foundation For Kids, as part of the Hands2Help quilt drive. Mari was in charge of coordinating this year, and i was the lucky recipient of some batting, 2 charm packs, and several yards of  BROWN FABRIC! (which is a color i'm lacking in my stash!) so, obvouisly, i plan to put that brown to good use in these flower baskets, and then i'll have even more quilts to donate...

funny how that works, right? we sew and sew, using our stash and scraps, and then EVEN TEN YEARS LATER, we're still going strong! quilty math is the best math, right?!



 my final {new} block for this RSC23 roundup is Primrose, from Cluck Cluck Sew. we recently had a new quilt shop open up in our area (after several years of NO LQS's) and i made a special stop, looking for Ball blue mason jar colored fabric. i found several very nice fabrics that i'm super happy with, and plan on making several of these blocks each month, featuring all different kinds and colors of flowers. i think i'll keep this quilt for our bed- it will be perfect for summer. this block finishes at 20" X 10", so there will be multiple rows of colorful flowers dancing across my bed! 

and: maybe one more new block for RSC23: sawtooth stars! i forgot how much i love them (they're one of my favorite blocks!) and maybe i'll do a few of them next year, too...

so: what are you working on? what has you excited to sneak away to the sewing room? and be sure to click on over to Angela at SoScrappy and see what everyone else is working on! 

7 comments:

Maggie said...

On Thursday this week while on zoom with a friend we were talking about projects for next year, I have a few ready to start work on in January. the RSC23 is already on the calendar. I am so incredibly inspired by each and every person and all the wonderful patterns and projects every one choose and work on.Looking forward to seeing all the incredible colours and projects in 2023. Have a wonderful weekend.

Deb A said...

Great plans for your 2023 blocks. It will be fun to watch them all grow.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You've got lots of fun ideas going on there! I love the white churn dashes with their colorful backgrounds. And the flower blocks are so pretty! I enjoy having new blocks for the new year, as well as a few continuing over.

grammajudyb said...

So nice to have a plan. I seem to start out strong and then fall “off the wagon “, so to speak! I have a very different plan this year! I’ll talk about it another Saturday. I’ve always loved the scrappy stars like the quilt in your header. That one is still on my list! Hope your upcoming week is a good one!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like a good plan, Jennifer, and congrats on getting that sweet rainbow baby quilt top together!!

Jenny said...

I like that- List of Quilts to Piece Next Year! Oops had to check naughty old spell checker, it has written "Lust". I'm sure we are all planning ahead for RSC 2023, I know I've got a couple of ideas floating around, plus several unfinished RSC starts to catch up on.

Deb said...

I really should get my list for next year started but I am so busy trying to
finish things up for the holidays! I have 3 string stars to bind and 2 RSC string stars that need borders and binding. I will have to put the planning for next year RSC23 in my list of presleep thinking!! Stay safe and sew on !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin