Thursday, February 10, 2022

in which: the blogger starts 3 new RSC22 projects...

yikes! here it is, for all intents and purposes, the middle of February, and i've started 3 new RSC22 projects! (click here to see what all the other colorful quilters are working on

 but: in my defense, i'd have to say- i felt pretty scattered and unorganized 6 weeks ago at the beginning of the year, and didn't have a clear idea yet of what i wanted to work on. even though i don't post much (even as often as i'd like to) i do faithfully visit all you guys, and other blogs (and Instagram) nearly every day. it's a source of great inspiration, and now i finally know where i'm going...


on one of my *very infrequent* trips to Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, i happened to stumble across this issis of American Patchwork &  Quilting magazine. i instantly recognized the quilt on the front as one by Jo Kramer. i wasn't interested in piecing the cover quilt, but on a whim picked up the magazine to page through it. 


i was thrilled to see a pattern for a paper pieced house included in the projects of this issue! and better yet- in 6" and 12" block sizes! I've always wanted to do a house quilt, but in 40+ years of quilting, I've never checked that off my bucket list... BUT: here's the thing that was the absolute clincher for me: the solid color is Kona School Bus- one of my favorites!!! 

I'm thinking to make a few houses in the COM each month, depending on how much of that color i have. and also, I'm planning to do this a bit more *fancified* than i might normally- I'm pondering 9 patch sashing and cornerstones (indigo?) and maybe finish this to hang on my stairwell wall. 

so, somewhat impulsively, this project (I'm doing the 6" houses) was added to the queue for RSC22. i ordered 5 yards of kona school bus from FQS, and I'm all caught up! 


still: the 3" squares! another inspiration from Jo was her Two-Step quilt. (i think I've seen a few others around on bloggy land, too) and i thought i'd weed out some of the singletons from my 3" square stash and do one of those, too. i still had lots of the LV 3" squares from the waffle quilts last year, so why not? 

(although, in going back to Jo's post to link up, i see that my memory was a bit off. the blocks are 2/2, not my 2/1 as i've pieced them here. i guess that's why it's called a TWO STEP, right? oh, well...) 


lastly to be started is what I'm going to call a Framed 4 Patch. when i was cleaning off the computer desk, i found a diagram i'd scrawled on a piece of scrap paper, outlining this block. (that means i saw it {was inspired} somewhere from you guys. if this is your design, let me know; i'd be glad to link back and give you credit!) 


i have a "home made" jelly roll of these Kona colors. ( the colors I'm using for the sashing are black, ash, snow, coal, charcoals, titanium and silver. I'm considering adding in expresso to round out the tan/brown spectrum) i thought they'd be perfect to outline the 4 patches in each color of the month. each block will finish at 9", so not sure how big this quilt will end up being. 

6 comments:

Kathy S. said...

LOVE that schools color! It's the perfect background for the school houses. I printed off the two-step a while back. I think that would be a good one to do a whole row of color and bang it out once a month like the one in Jo's version. Good luck with your three new projects.

Jenny said...

Great going, the school house blocks are a great new addition to your RSC monthly blocks. I'm doing framed 4 patches too, nice and easy to do.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Kona School Bus is a fun color! Your houses will be a great RSC project. I like the framed 4 patches, too - they would be the perfect leader/ender project. I'll have to remember that!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Not one. Not two. But THREE new projects?!?! You'll be using us scraps at an alarming rate, Jennifer. What if you run out of 3" squares??? (As IF that might happen!)

Susie H said...

Fun! Fun! Fun! Three great projects to entertain you. That yellow is a great color and will keep things fresh looking. See you next week!

JanineMarie said...

Fun RSC projects, and that school bus for the background of the houses makes me giddy. It seems everyone is doing multiple RSC projects this year. I love seeing all the ideas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin