Saturday, October 02, 2021

CATching up- with a bit of help from my friend...

CATching up: get it? (our) CAT: Millie? haha! one Saturday morning she seemed especially helpful needy in the sewing room. I enjoy my quiet mornings upstairs when I can sneak away... does anybody else listen to Ranger Bill? that's been a Saturday morning staple in our family for over 30 years. 

i have a few more waffle blocks that have joined the pile. i know October is light green, but I already did all my greens way back in March. (my brain just can't handle sorting out the colors by genre.) 

I guess that means that I'm technically done with my RSC piecing for the year? i can start getting some of these blocks into tops. 

we're starting to see LOTS of finishes at this time of year with our RSC friends, and it's exciting! and inspiring! 

i am especially enthused about my wonky star blocks! i have a recipient in mind already...

after piecing a few of these wonky stars, I decided to just make them whatever size worked best for the squares I had, so there are some rectangles in the bunch. 

i think it will help make the quilt more interesting to have the blocks nested together, rather than soldiers lined up in a row...



we just got back last night from our family vacation in West Virginia and Virginia. a fun time was had by all: 

we visited some cemeteries to see Dave's relatives, rode the Cass Scenic Railroad in W VA, toured the Green Bank Observatory, visited Luray Caverns and had some interesting times in the local garage getting our brakes and wheel bearing replaces. (those West Virginia hills? yikes!) 



and one last aqua wonky star block. I've been working on lots of stuff- some quilts for our church sewing group, Scraps to Wraps. (S2W for short...) we donate some quilts locally for fire victims, or as the needs arise. most of our S2W quilts go to MCC for donation around the world. (I've written about this before) 

we've been sending quilts to the MCC Relief Sales, too. it's always fun to see how much the quilts bring at auction. here's one that was a UFO from 2011, apparently. it was recently sold at the Kansas auction, and brought $900! not too bad for some leftover homespun squares! 

anyway- I plan on coming back soon! i do have some donut and shoo fly blocks to share, and I'll get some of my recent "finishes" posted too! meanwhile, go see what everyone else is working on- I'm sure we can all be inspired! 

10 comments:

Marly said...

Wonky stars are always such fun! I think you've hit on a good idea there, making the blocks of varying sizes so the stars will seem more randomly placed and not regimented. Congratulations on having made a quilt that brought in so much money for charity.

maggie fellow said...

great wonky stars- I really like the quilt that you sold to MCC was there a pattern - making it in shirts looks so wonderful.

Deb A said...

You can't go wrong with scrappy wonky stars. Such a pretty quilt they always make. Your vacation sounds lovely.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your wonky stars in different shapes and sizes! The vacation sounds great, too!

grammajudyb said...

RSC21 is winding up! Nowthw fun begins, putting all that happy scrappiness together! I’ve never been to Virginia! Sounds like fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome vacation photo, Jennifer!! I'll be looking forward to seeing your RSC quilts come together. You do rainbow SEW well!!!

Cathy said...

Love those Wonky Stars! And I like that you are using the sizes of scraps you have. That sure will make for an interesting quilt!

Jenny said...

It's always nice when our pets decide they want to help us with our stitching. Love those star blocks!

Kathy S. said...

Oh wow! Those different sized wonky stars blocks will definitely add a ton of interest to the quilt. I love it when I can't find where the block is in a quilt. It just makes my eyes go everywhere. Happy piecing. I too am looking forward to some RSC finishes.

Cathy said...

I always enjoy seeing what you’re up to. As usual, you have a lot of wonderful news to share! Like you, I have trouble splitting my greens, but I’ve accumulated enough new scraps since last time that I’ll probably sew several blocks and/or try out a few ideas for next year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin