Saturday, October 15, 2016

Still plugging along....

I fell a bit behind in my piecing projects for RSC16. (this year I'm making granny blocks, crumb blocks, low-volume plus blocks and the RSC16 Column-Along. I also started Simply Woven as a RSC project, using the color of the month, and the accent. when it was close to finished, I just went ahead and finished, rather than have it lingering around- as so many of my blocks are wont to do...)
 
I'm slowly but surely catching up (except for the Column-Along.... I'm way far behind on that, but look forward to getting caught up- I'm doing it all in Kona solids) and if I didn't keep getting distracted with MORE fabric, and MORE quilts, I'd be doing a lot better... but, it is what it is, right?
 
I did finish my Low Volume Plus (showed that here before) and since I didn't do as many projects/blocks as I did in RSC15, I should be able to finish some tops before too long...


this week I pieced several more red granny square blocks, as well as a few yellow ones. all my blocks have the fabrics picked out, and paired with 12 of the background squares, so I'll continue to work on them a few at a time. I think i'll have 60+ when I'm done!!! yikes! but I'm thinking that will make 2 quilts, 6 X 6 setting with sashing.


a few weekends ago, my quilt, Celtic Solstice, was sold at the Washington Mennonite Relief Sale for an astounding and flattering price. I was so excited to be able to help in such a way, and I couldn't hardly sleep that night with the thoughts of all the quilts, and all the fabrics floating through my head!
 
part of the reason I haven't been doing as much RSC piecing is because I have 2 more quilts started for the MCC auctions. (ok, it's really more like 6, but who's counting?!) my friend Karen is a long arm quilter, and she has a passion for quilting for MCC. her mother, Jean, is the third part of our "team"- she loves to do the binding.  while I've been sewing for our church group, Scraps2Wraps for 8+ years, it's only in the last 2 years or so that I've enthusiastically caught the vision of sewing for MCC. it's so satisfying to know that we can work together to complete a quilt to send to one of the auctions, and the monies raised will go directly to where it's needed most, and used by the missionaries who are already in the field, assimilated into the culture and community. I don't even have a passport, but I know that I can help folks around the world, all the while still farming with my husband and homeschooling our 2 youngest. (among other things!)
 

here's a picture of my Simply Woven quilt, as taken from the Texas Relief Sale facebook page. I don't often get to see my quilts completely finished (I pass them along as tops) and definitely not as a full and beautifully taken picture as this. I'm so excited to participate in this way, and to be part of a team where we all are so blessed to do the part of quilting that we love the best, using our talents that are God-given to serve Him.
 
click on over to SoScrappy, hosted by Angie to see what others are doing this week- it will be a colorful visit, I promise!

8 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Fantastic scrapiness!

Kate said...

I'm still in love with your Granny Square blocks. I'm contemplating projects for next year's RSC and that on is high up on the list. Congrats on the successful auction quilt. It is nice when your projects can do so much good.

Sheila said...

The Simply Woven quilt pattern has been on my bucket list for a while. Your's is awesome. MMC. A most worthy charity.

LA Paylor said...

nice! I just love that woven quilt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Simply Woven quilt is beautiful! It's no wonder it sold for lots and lots! It sounds like you have a great team going for finishing your MCC quilts.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Granny Square blocks and the Simply Woven quilt turned out SEW well, but better than that is the amount you were able to help with your MCC quilt. Congrats!!

Sally Trude said...

Your woven quilt is wonderful. Very cheerful.

PaulaB quilts said...

What a wonderful blessing to sell your Celtic Soltice quilt like that. I went back to see it and it indeed was worth every penny it earned. Congrats on the woven quilt also, a real beauty. You have worldwide outreach, may God bless you richly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin