Friday, March 01, 2019

the yellow is fading in the distance...

i'm such a terrible blogger these days! you certainly wouldn't know it by my blogging schedule, but i'm actually pretty dedicated and on top of the whole RSC19 thing. but it seems to be such a pain uploading and posting about it, that i guess updating and catching up is one of those things that i end up procrastinating about! 


my isosceles triangle quilt of the month {yellow} is actually done. my plan is to piece one a month for our church sewing group. i finished the top on Wednesday, but forgot to take a picture. i have lots {AND LOTS} of green in my stash, so i complemented the yellow with green. 

something you probably can't tell from the picture: i re-formatted the layout to accurately reflect the ACTUAL size of the triangles, not the size i mistakenly ASSUMED they were. an isosceles triangle has 3 equal sides.  they're cut at 6½" high. i thought they were also 6½" wide at the base. (math is really not my thing...) 

both the red isosceles quilt and the yellow one turned out MUCH WIDER than my design on EQ5 indicated they would. hmm... (apparently i'm also a slow learner, since it took two quilts for the light bulb to go off in my head...) i enlisted the help of my trusty tape measure, and an isosceles triangle that is 6½" high is 7¼" at the base. problem solved!  


and again, the blogger can be heard saying incredulously in the background "why, i didn't realize i had so much yellow!"


or am i the only one who says that every month? nearly 60 crumb blocks to add to the stack, as well as the crumb blocks left over from RSC17.


trimmed at 6½", will finish at 6" in a project...


be sure to click on over to Angela's on Saturday morning, where you can see what everyone else is working on, and what the color of the month is for March. 

9 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Too funny - math is also not my thing.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

that is a lot of yellow crumb loveliness.One year they may all come together?

Mari said...

Those yellow strings and crumbs are awesome. They look so cheerful. Strings always go a lot further than I think they will, too.

Katie Z. said...

That is a lot of yellow! I haven’t too much, as it always is in demand for my sister.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have always wanted to make an isosceles triangle quilt, so it's good to know about that math! Do they go together pretty quickly for you? I always worry about getting the points to line up! Pretty yellows!

JanineMarie said...

Thank you for the math lesson!! And so much yellow fun. I, too, have a lot of yellow. I think it’s because I like to use it as an accent in a quilt and then have a lot left over. (Don’t know why I keep buying new.)

Cathy said...

Actually, it’s an equilateral triangle that has three equal sides (and three 60-degree angles). A triangle with two equal sides is an isosceles triangle. The base can vary from shorter to longer than the length of the sides. But regardless, we love our triangles, don’t we? And I love all those crumb blocks! That’s a lot of crumbs!!!!!!!!

gayle said...

Oh, don't feel bad - geometry IS my thing, and it still trips me up when I'm not alert enough. Tricky stuff that geometry- it's out to get us all!
Love all your happy yellow! It's especially cheerful (and welcome) at this dreary time of year!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SIXTY Crumb blocks in a month?!?! You finished a quilt top, besides. Wow!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin