Saturday, February 20, 2021

look what happened at my house!

I've been thinking about getting The Holy Grail Of Quilters Sewing Machines for a couple years now. i've had a Bernina Virtuosa 150 for the past 20 years. she's worked great, and i've always been very happy with her, but i felt it was time to upgrade to something just a bit faster. 

i've always been a die-hard Singer fan, and I've been loyal to my Bernina for nearly as long. But that siren song of 1500 SPM finally won me over!


Enter: the Juki 2010Q!!! {squeeee!!!} 

my patience paid off: i got this for just a *bit* cheaper off of e-bay. (with a walking foot, too) it came on Thursday evening, and after letting the metal and gears warm up overnight (have 'ya seen how cold it is outside?!) i've got it *mostly* figured out. i was expecting a bit of a steeper learning curve (i've heard/read lots of those comments in my research) but the Juki worked great right out of the gate.

although, TBH, i'm still threading it the old-fashioned way. i also heard that the automatic threader is a bit complicated, and requires multiple YouTube videos to figure out. i'll save that for another day....


so last night, after all was working well i moved the Juki up to the sewing room, and finished up this quilt that i had just barely started with my Featherweight at our church sewing group, Scraps to Wraps. 

the lighting is terrible (sorry!) but the quilt is loosely based on Jo's free pattern found here. i cut out the pieces using my Studio2 cutter: 3½" squares and 3½" X 6½" rectangles. (the dark fabrics are multiple greens- a plethora of scrappiness. i think there are 20+ different forest greens. the picture should enlarge if you double click it...)

and can i just say: FIFTEEN HUNDRED STITCHES PER MINUTE? buckle your seatbelt and keep your hands inside the car at all times... FIVE STARS. would definitely recommend!!! i had already started this quilt, as i mentioned, but to finish it up last night was a breeze! it went so quickly. 

i can see that there are some applications where sewing that fast would be unnecessary (or dangerous!) but for general quilting, i think it's going to be fabulous! my friend joked that now i'm going to sew more things. haha! actually, i'm just aiming for sewing/finishing more of the things that i've already started, just faster! 



 

6 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Woohoo! That is FAST! Have fun finishing (and starting!) projects!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on that beautiful new machine!! May it bring you lots of speedy sewing, Jennifer.

Kathy S. said...

Congrats on your new BFF!!! A new sewing machine that stitches so fast will have you making quilts left and right. Good luck figuring out the threading part. I love my threader! It was worth figuring out. LOVE the stacking bricks quilt and the forest greens. I bet it was so therapeutic chain stitching all those parts together. Woohoo on cutting them with your Studio. I'm an Accuquilt girl too! Let the scrappy goodness continue!

Deb said...

Wow! I have been eyeing my GF Juke for 2 years!!! I met one at a retreat and they sew so fast! and they have a foot button for cutting. I so want one!!Enjoy yours !!
I currently sew on 1 or 2 Janomes and a lovely singer featherweight!
Stay safe and Sew on!

Cathy said...

Wowsers! That stitching speed is FAST! I like to go fast on my Bernina, but I’m comfortable staying under 900 SPM (senior citizen that I am, LOL). So glad you’re enjoying your new machine!

Susie H said...

I've heard those Jukis are amazing and, yes, FAST! But I've also heard that their straight stitch is unbelievable. Congratulations on the upgrade! I'll bet you're going to be a sewing whiz now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin