Saturday, June 17, 2017

little bits, every oncet in a while...

halfway through June (already!!!) and it's my first link up for RSC. I've been working in bits and bobs as time and energy allows.


above are the (gallon) glass jars that I keep my scraps bits in that I use to piece my crumb blocks for the month. (not pictured are the 4(!) jars of neutral/low volume scraps and bits) despite piecing the crumb blocks (6½" cut) for 4 years now, the jars are never empty! (reminds me of a bible story!) but it's all good- I really enjoy piecing the crumb blocks!



I pieced 9 of the yellow/indigo kona 16 patches- with colors like butter, yarrow, daffodil, corn yellow, curry, canary, butter, maize, buttercup, ect...

I just know I'd gonna lovelovelove this quilt when it's done!


this Thursday I had a few "free" moments before I needed to set up for Farm Market, and got out my pinwheel blocks- I started these in RSC15. my plans for the layout of these blocks has changed at least 2 times along the way, but for the first quilt, I've settled on an on-point setting, with the colors running diagonally through the quilt.
(funny how the cats in a quilty household are so "helpful", right?)


as usual, I've managed to be an over-achiever: the layout needed 162 blocks, and I've pieced 259! sheesh! there are many, many different fabrics in this quilt- very little repeats of the colors. the purple row is 17 unique pinwheels- not a single duplicate! I would never have guessed that I even HAD that many purples!
I'm looking forward to getting this pieced together, and then i'll tackle another smaller quilt with the leftobers. Judy is doing a UFO "challenge" for 2017. she's petered out in the quilting (but loves knitting!) but I'm just glad for the extra motivation to get some lurking UFOs done. for the 6 months of 2017, I've completed 5 of my older UFOs. sure glad about that!


12 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Congratulations on getting those UFO's done. Love all the different names for yellow. They play so nicely with the Kona blue.

make.share.give said...

These are beautiful! Keep up the great work!

Mari said...

All your blocks look great! You'll get at least 2 quilts from the pinwheels, if your "helper" will allow it!

gayle said...

There is no better cat magnet than a layout of quilt blocks... 8)
Your pinwheels are going to make a couple of gorgeous quilts! (You overachiever, you!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your jars of scraps! What a fun idea, and so pretty on the shelf! Enjoy your stitching!

Cathy said...

Great pinwheel blocks! And your feline supervisor seems to approve, too. You've sure made a lot of cute blocks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW... just how big is that Pinwheel quilt going to be?!?! LOL

Kathy S. said...

Love your scrap jars. Time to get busy on that yellow jar! I love the bible story too. Have a great week.

PaulaB quilts said...

Those pinwheel blocks look great. Congrats on hair finished five UFO Quilts this year!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Every single seam counts as progress -- just keep stitching. Funny that you have so many more pinwheels than you actually need - I have NEVER (HA HAHAHAHA) done that.

Deb A said...

Awesome job on clearing out the UFO's. I am loving the 17 in 2017 too. Your blocks are going to make some lovely quilt. So fun when our 'plans' change with them as we continue to make blocks. Good luck sewing them all up into pretty quilts.

Katie Z. said...

Way to go! I'm using the UFO Challenge to break my hand quilting into reasonable chunks. I'm finally making good progress, which is so exciting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin