Friday, December 28, 2018

running to catch up!

I've been busy behind the scenes working on finishing up some of my RSC18 quilts. i actually have some finishes to share! so glad to join in this last linky of the year. (and i'm looking forward to/planning blocks for RSC19!) 

i {practically just this minute} finished my Kona indigo 9 patch. each month in RSC18 i made a slew of blocks from my Kona stash in the color of the month (COM) and indigo. i just randomly made blocks- some with 5 indigo/4 COM and some with 5 COM/4 indigo. i didn't overthink the layout- just went for a general fade, and i'm really thrilled with the result!





one thing that i did differently with this quilt is: i used no batting! i just sandwiched and pinned the top with a cotton backing, and quilted in a cross hatch design on the indigo squares.


(couldn't resist an instagram worthy glamour shot!)


i'm "extra proud" of myself- this is a RSC18 quilt that was started, quilted, bound, washed and is being used right now- and it's still 2018! that's probably a personal record for me!

everything is dreary and mud around here- no beautiful outdoor shots this week... this rainbow quilt finished at 60" X 75"- a perfect quilt for napping!


i love the hand {feel} of this quilt with no batting- it's really more like a sheet than a quilt. i think it will be perfect for summer time naps- when you just want a bit of covering...

another bonus: this quick and delightful finish has spurred me on to also finish my kona/indigo 16 patch quilt. (pretty much the same as this kona/indigo 9 patch quilt, but not...) at last i have a layout finalized in my mind, and actually plan on working on that this afternoon! (i also plan to finish it the same way- no batting, just cotton backing, and a crosshatch quilting through the indigo squares)


and my final finish to share: Growing Up Odd! after a generous infusion of orange scraps (scroll down a couple posts to read about that...) i buckled down and got this top all sewn together- it's just 9 blocks, but alot of sashing... my girls helped me lay it out, and i'm so happy with how it turned out. (and here's where i wish i had more beds in my house!)  the squares that i used were 3", finishing at 2½", so it's quite large- 97½" X 102½"! 

you can sort of see where i added a row of scrappy squares, as well as another row of sashing on the top and bottom of the quilt, making it a rectangle rather than a square. i counted through my notes last night, and there are 1000++ different, unique fabrics in this top! (really!) this quilt is for sale, but if it has to stay here and live at my house, that's just fine with me! there are so many fabric bits and memories of the last 30+ years in this quilt!

( i also updated my RSC18 tab at the top. will be adding to my RSC19 tab in the next couple days....) 

thanks for stopping! and here's to a healthy, happy and productive 2019 of RSCing- along, together! 

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great finishes!!! Especially like that first one.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fabulous way to end out the year!! Two beautiful finishes. Enjoy your "summer spread" and best of luck with the sale of Growing Up Odd!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've never thought to finish a quilt that way - such a great idea! And it's beautiful, too! I really like the constant Kona Indigo with the other fun colors.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on a great finish! Love how it all came together.

scraphappy said...

Finished and started in the same year. Crazy! Congratulations on getting both of them done before the new year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin