Saturday, October 04, 2014

scrappy saturday: october is brown, grey and black!

I was excited to see what color Angela would pick for October... wanting to look in my little suitcase to see what colors I could play with this month... (also, in the background you can see one of those little sewing caddies just like the one that Jo received as a gift. mine is from a dear friend that passed away a few years ago.)


 
it's brown, grey and black. sorting through all the squares, I realized that I have ALOT of brown... less black, and less grey. (even after pulling the 3 colors for this month, and the orange from last month, there are still many, many blocks in here. I guess I'll be busy for quite awhile!) 
 


after a busy, busy week, I was able to spend a few hours in the sewing room last night, and pulled out all the squares from the little suitcase. (the suitcase was my mother's, and had lived in the attic for ages and ages-years, really! last spring I pulled it out and thought that it would work really well for some cute storage in the sewing room.)

 
last week sometime, I was also able to work through the pile of fabrics that were waiting to be cut into 3" squares... the pile was so big, it took 2 nights to do it! in looking at these fabrics, I see some that have been around for 20 years or so! in the above block, the geometric print second from the right on the bottom row was from a quilt that I made my boys when they were 5. last week they turned 24 ~ it's great that this fabric is finally finding a home! 



these "tiny" split 4 patches are not my favorite block to make, but they do look cute when they're done! I have about 4 more to make, then i'll start on the black and brown. thanks for looking ~ hope to see you again next week!

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Using the suitcase for storage is such a great idea.

Nine patches are such a simple but oh-so-useful block!

scraphappy said...

Love your little suitcase of scraps. What a fun way to store them. So glad to hear that you are putting those vintage scraps to good use. They will make a nice addition to your blocks.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the split 4 patch blocks... they will make a terrific quilt!

Sheila said...

Cool idea to store your squares in a suitcase. Looks like a box of wonderful scrap quilt ready to happen. Love your gray prints and blocks.

Nell's Quilts said...

Great little storage case! You certainly have a lot of projects on the go. My favourites are the split nine patches. They are so cute!

Chantal said...

Love the suitcase idea. We do tend to hide our precious stash in every little places we can find a little bit like squirrels. LOL. Love the fabric print.

Cathy said...

Love the suitcase for storage. Looks like you are off to a good start getting rid of really old scraps!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin