Wednesday, January 30, 2019

red scraps- they're breeding like rats!

one of the amazing things about sewing with scraps is that they never seem to get any less!


i pieced 88 red crumb blocks this month, and my red scrap jar is still nearly full! once the blocks are pieced and pressed (sometimes starched) I trim them to 6½". I have a ruler this size, and it's just easy to do it the same size as the ruler. plus, it's a handy size to work with: not too big, not too small...


anyway- it took me nearly the whole month to get organized and piece these blocks. i really enjoy making the crumb blocks- it's mindless and relaxing! plus- it's fun to touch all the fabric!


i keep my crumb scraps in gallon jars on a shelf in my sewing room. since i didn't make any crumb blocks during RSC18, they're all stuffed to overflowing! 


88 blocks, and still it's almost full! how is this even possible? *the blogger mutters in astonishment*


these crumb blocks will go in the stack with all the other colors- waiting for inspiration to hit...


although, to be fair, i did make a set of 4 small quilts for the littles at my house- pictured here.  these quilts get loved, used and washed often! 


and another crumb quilt that's not quite done yet, or blogged about, was (is) my crumb flag quilt. i hope to get that done soon....


i've accomplished my goals/projects for January and the reds- i'm looking forward to the new color for February! (does anyone else feel a bit at a loss at the end of the months, wiating for a new color?) 


i'm linking up to RSC red at Angela's blog on Saturday morning- remember to click over and see what everyone else is working on. if you're working on the string-a-long over at Lori's blog, or would simply like an infusion of red strips and scraps- send me an e-mail! i'm hoping to share some of my "extra" red scraps! 

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yup - red scraps - I could use a few. My red resource box is nearly empty and so is the red crumb box. Happy to give your pieces a new home (scrap swaps are awesome, BTW).

JanineMarie said...

Well this is inspiring!! And your blocks from earlier look so sweet in all those different layouts. I just pieced my first crumb block this week and it took me forever. If you can do 88, I'm going to do my best to eke out a few more--in red, even though I know I need to switch to yellow now. I'll try not to overthink them.

Cathy said...

I remember those crum quilts you made last year! They’re so cute. And all I can say is you must have a literal ton of scraps!!! But crumb blocks are like popcorn - way too tempting, and you can just keep going and going. But you have the right idea; making them into lots of smaller blocks that could be incorporated into other projects down the road.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your red crumb blocks are so much fun! They make me want to go sew some crumbs together today myself. What size do you like to make yours?

Katie Z. said...

Your crumb blocks are spectacular!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Last year's quilts are SEW awesome and this year's will be, too!! Such a lot of RED blocks. I'm sure there will be many YELLOW blocks, as well. Mindless sewing is THE BEST!!

Cathy said...

I love making and looking at crumb blocks! Way to go!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin