Friday, February 24, 2017

What box?

there are several UFO challenges going on this year, but I'm participating in the one Judy is hosting. #9 was drawn for the month of February- and for me, that was a challenge to use up some of my hoarded many charm packs.


I managed to use/piece and or share 9 charm packs this month! woo-hoo! (and no, that didn't leave me with a shortage! I still have a few left, and that's a good thing, since #8 in the UFO challenge for me is ALSO charm packs!)
 
this quilt was a late comer to the party- I didn't even start it until late last week. this pattern is Pocket Change, and I used 2 of the little gatherings charm packs from moda.
 
I'm not a  huge fan of pre-cuts, and now I remember why. despite carful cutting and piecing, the squares did not come out the size they were "supposed" to. it did all work out in the end; I just squared up the individual blocks before piecing them into the quilt, and it's fine.
 

as a matter of fact, I'd say this is one of my favorite quilts. but I'm pretty sure I say that about lots (most? all?) of my quilts.


daisy wandered over to the pasture fence, since she saw a quilt, and figured she'd get a treat. (she did)

perhaps you're wondering about the title of this post? "What box?" it's just a humorous reference to the box that I thought so far out of, that it's not even there! when I contemplated making this quilt, my first inclination was to use red; that would go nicely with the blacks, tans, creams and whites that were in these charm packs. my next thought was that everybody (and their brother) would choose red. so what about green? hunter/forest green seemed a good choice, but again: too predictable. I liked the green idea, and thought what about skewing the color wheel- waaayyyy off- to avocado! ( I loved the idea of a purple/regal/midnight, but didn't' want the quilt to be too feminine.)

so Kona avocado it was, and is. and I love it!

2 comments:

Vireya said...

Lovely quilt, and cute donkey!

AnnieO said...

The green looks vibrant and cool. Congratulations

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin