Friday, January 19, 2018

UFOs: 2018: in which the blogger is off to a great start!

edited to add on 4/21: I'm linking up this post because the yellow (papaya!) quilt fits in nicely with RSC18 this month. and how can you even go wrong with konas? ( I can't help it; I'm such a kona cotton snob...)

I'm participating in the UFO Challenge that Judy is hosting over at Patchwork Times. despite this being my 4th year participating, I still have some pesky UFOs lurking around!
 
January got off to a good start, with #10 being the number of our UFO to work on. to say I was disappointed would be accurate:

 
it would be fair, and again, totally accurate to say that this is my least loved UFO on the 2018 list.. but like my granny always says: "eat a bullfrog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse can happen to you all day long...."
 
so, that's what I did! since this schoolhouse (paper pieced) quilt kit from Connecting Threads has been on my UFO list for 4 years now, it's obvious that it wasn't getting  done unless I MADE myself do it!
 
I made an executive decision, too: since the fabrics are super ugly, it didn't really make sense to me to make a quilt that is so time consuming when I hated the fabrics right from the very start! I saw a nice (and easy!) quilt over at Wedding Dress Blue, and thought that would be just the ticket!
 
( I can't find the original pattern to link to; sorry! I guess it's a good thing I printed it out!)
 

this quilt finishes at a nice size of 48" X 60". there were 20 (?) FQs in the pattern pack from CT, and this quilt pattern works best with 15. some of the fabric was dated 2008 on the selvedge, so it's good that it's used up- and I'm happy to get it moving on to somewhere where it will be loved and used.


I really enjoyed making the Sidewalk Pattern quilt, so it occurred to me to dig out use another Connecting Threads kit that I had purchased (12 FQs & pattern, $13). I was interested to see how much more I would like this quilt with some brighter fabrics. and yes, I like it much better! (the blue cast is from the snow; it's much brighter in person)
 
i'll definitely be making some more of these.
 

I also finished #6 on my UFO list- it was just a matter of sewing down the binding on the back of this quilt.


I pieced this quilt 4 years ago, and it was hand-quilted by a dear friend over a year ago, so it was definitely time to get it done!
 
it didn't' really take too long to finish either, which always makes me wonder why it took me so long in the first place?


it's a twin size, and the kona yellow is papaya. the browns/tans/blacks/creams/grey is a kona jelly roll that my son gifted to me Christmas 2013. I don't think it's available anymore- I think the jelly roll was called Old Film. (or something like that...)
 
 
this quilt is another favorite (but i say that about lots of my quilts!) and I'm glad to finally have it done! thanks, Judy!

5 comments:

quilterchick said...

Great job at tackling those UFOs! My oldest is from 2010 and I am determined to finish it this year... but my sewing room is getting new lights at the moment. Is it bad to feel relief that I can't work on it? (I brought easier projects downstairs to work on instead). Keep up the great work!

Nancy said...

Great job using up that fabric. Now you can buy some you like better!

Lynette said...

Good on you for barrelling through and getting the worst UFO squared away right up front. :) I really love your #6 quilt.

scraphappy said...

Finishing always feels good, but the ones that take a while are even more satisfying when they come. Congratulations for getting this one moved off your list. It is beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Both of the Sidewalk tops are AWESOME!! Like you, I prefer the lighter/brighter version best. That dark and moody one will be great for a gentleman. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt (that took longer to finish than it should have.) Some quilts just have to marinate while we are off on one tangent or another! Is that a pieced back?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin