Saturday, January 13, 2018

icy blues... to match the weather outside!

the weather here in northern PA has continued to be rather wacky: yesterday it was 56°. today it's snowy and icy, with a low forecasted for tomorrow night of -5°!

all the better to sew with, my dear!

a bit of RSC sewing for me this week:


I've finally started on my holiday patchwork forest quilt. I'm trying to be a good RSCer, and stick to blues. the blocks are easy and fun, and I'm lliking them so far.
 

I'm a bit worried about my eclectic and bohemian look, though. not sure I can pull that off. but i'll persist, and as I add in more colors, it should be fine. (right?!)
 
I've been "studying" the #holidaypatchworkforest quilts on instagram, {how can blogger NOT EVEN KNOW the word instagram?!} and I know what I like (the bright, scrappy and a bit crazy ones) but I'm not sure that I'm headed in the right direction. pinks, yellows, oranges and aqua seem to make some beautiful quilts that I'm drawn to. many of the HPF quilts don't seem to have purple in them. did I miss the memo about purple? I like purple- I don't love it or hate it, but it seems to be conspicuously missing in many of the quilts...



a RSC finish for me this week: my granny square quilt. (and double yay- it's already at the long-arm quilter in the queue for a donation quilt. ) it turned out ok- I don't love it as much as I thought I would, but it's just fine. it turned out to be about 90" square.

 
the dolly quilt is not a RSC project, but it is blue (and all from stash!) I planned on doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt this year- On Ringo Lake. I completed clue one in a timely manner. then the triangles and geese started flying faster and faster and I realized I would never catch up. so rather then relegating 50 cute little 9 patches to the UFO pile, I finished them into a dolly quilt. all the littles at my house have been playing with it all week long, wrapping up dolls and cats, too.
 
click on over to Angie's for more RSC blue goodies!
 
i'm also linking up to Bonnie- click on over there for some beautiful On Ringo Lake quilts! 

10 comments:

gayle said...

I love your happy scrappy trees! (And I just spent some time at instagram looking at tree quilts, and the one I like best has lots of purple. Go for it!)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is funny about your granny square quilt - I looked at it and Went WOW do I love that!! maybe yo will love it more when it is quilted ;-) Nice job on the trees!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on finishing up the Granny Square quilt. Already off to be quilted! Looks great.

Emily said...

I think the trees are great and will make a fabulous RSC quilt! And yes, when they are all together, I think the Bohemian look will be great. This should be fun!

Ellen said...

Your trees are cute but your quilts look fantastic! Congrats on the finishes.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Granny Square Quilt came together nicely! Looking forward to seeing quilted.

Cathy said...

I love your granny square quilt top! And I think your patchwork trees are going to be awesome. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot more of us trying those out. And congrats on a perfect Plan B for those ORL nine-patches. I will probably be 108 years old before I finish mine, LOL...

Jeanette said...

How sensible to recognise early on that On Ringo Lake was not for you. I decided years ago to not do full size, and this time just 13 blocks, and a late starter so I knew where colours were going. Love your dolly quilt, a sweet use for those nine patches.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your simple solution for keeping up with ORL!!! That is brilliant, beautiful and finished. Great colors, too.

Vireya said...

Much better to have a dolly quilt that is used and loved, than a UFO hiding in a cupboard somewhere!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin