Saturday, June 24, 2017

Miles and miles of sewing....

Finally! after several evenings of dedicated piecing, I was able to get (one of) my pinwheel quilts into a flimsy!

I started piecing these "pinwheels" out of 2½" strips back in RSC15. (they're cut into 4½" squares, then 4 are sewn together. it's a pretty basic pattern...)
this year I started sewing the squares into the pinwheels, and since this month it's my UFO for the 2017 challenge over at Patchwork Times, I pulled it out again, finished and pressed all the blocks and worked on a layout.

it's a huge one- EQ says it's 101" X 113"! I love the look of the diagonally set quits, but those corner to corner seams sure seem like they're miles and miles long! 144" , or somewhere around there!
there were still 99 (!) blocks left over, and my youngest daughter, B and I arranged them into another quilt. since it's just a straight set, I'm hoping it will be a bit quicker to piece...

9 yellow crumb blocks round out my piecing for yellow this week. I still have a lot of yellow to work with, so I'm off to the sewing room!

click on over to so scrappy to see what everyone else is working on!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

almost there!

I'm bound and determined to get some of these lurking, nearly finished quilts DONE! (dee-oh-en-ee)

*edited to add:*  I linked up so late last week, that I'm linking this post again. also: can you even believe that it's the LAST yellow Saturday?!

the row of green can also fall under the category of "measure twice, cut once". I made my flying geese per the Eleanor Burns directions, (and ruler). I knew they would finish slightly bigger than the size Angela planned for, but since the math all worked out, I just decided to save myself some of the bother.
unfortunately, I mixed up the size squares that were to be cut for the geese and the background. I considered (for about 3 nano-seconds) re-doing the geese, but in the end figured that it would just make my quilt that much more unique in a (possible) wide sea of RSC16 Column Quilts.

not surprisingly, I fell behind on my RSC Column-Along. but for RSC17 I've been catching up on this (really, really cool) quilt one row, and one color at a time, as Angela calls the new color.
if you're interested, here's the colors I used for the green and yellow. sour apple, mint, holly, grasshopper, green grass, avocado, pickle, chartreuse and basil. yellows are daffodil, buttercup, curry, butter, canary, corn yellow, maize, and yarrow.
so now I've got 9 rows DONE! now it's only the pink row to go- and easy one of hatchets, and I have lots of pinks in my kona stash from my granddaughter E's quilt. can someone please direct me to the final directions/order of assembling the rows? I can't seem to find it on Angela's blog...
I'm making 2 of these quilts- the large and small ( I know, I know- I can't help it- really!) one to keep and one to give. getting excited to see the end of this quilt nearly in sight- Angela did a great job designing it.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

little bits, every oncet in a while...

halfway through June (already!!!) and it's my first link up for RSC. I've been working in bits and bobs as time and energy allows.

above are the (gallon) glass jars that I keep my scraps bits in that I use to piece my crumb blocks for the month. (not pictured are the 4(!) jars of neutral/low volume scraps and bits) despite piecing the crumb blocks (6½" cut) for 4 years now, the jars are never empty! (reminds me of a bible story!) but it's all good- I really enjoy piecing the crumb blocks!

I pieced 9 of the yellow/indigo kona 16 patches- with colors like butter, yarrow, daffodil, corn yellow, curry, canary, butter, maize, buttercup, ect...

I just know I'd gonna lovelovelove this quilt when it's done!

this Thursday I had a few "free" moments before I needed to set up for Farm Market, and got out my pinwheel blocks- I started these in RSC15. my plans for the layout of these blocks has changed at least 2 times along the way, but for the first quilt, I've settled on an on-point setting, with the colors running diagonally through the quilt.
(funny how the cats in a quilty household are so "helpful", right?)

as usual, I've managed to be an over-achiever: the layout needed 162 blocks, and I've pieced 259! sheesh! there are many, many different fabrics in this quilt- very little repeats of the colors. the purple row is 17 unique pinwheels- not a single duplicate! I would never have guessed that I even HAD that many purples!
I'm looking forward to getting this pieced together, and then i'll tackle another smaller quilt with the leftobers. Judy is doing a UFO "challenge" for 2017. she's petered out in the quilting (but loves knitting!) but I'm just glad for the extra motivation to get some lurking UFOs done. for the 6 months of 2017, I've completed 5 of my older UFOs. sure glad about that!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin